Post-9/11 GI Bill
The Post-9/11 GI Bill, which went into effect on August 1, 2009, includes education benefits, monthly housing stipends, and an annual stipend for books and school supplies. This bill includes benefits for ROTC / Service Academy officers, and reserve and guard members who have been activated for more than 90 days since 9/11.
You can find out more specifics here, but basically ROTC and Service Academy officers (the majority of our Armed Forces Group) are eligible for benefits ONLY if you have served beyond your active duty service obligation (ie for ROTC scholarship officers, who owed four years of active duty, only time beyond those four years counts toward the Post-9/11 GI Bill).
1) Apply for benefits online or by downloading the .pdf form from www.ebenefits.va.gov and mailing it in.
2) Send a copy of your Notice of Basic Eligibility, or a copy of your DD-214 discharge paperwork to the university registrar's office in Building 103. JoAnn Creviston(773-702-7877, mailto:email@example.com) and Sheila Ervin (773-702-7891, firstname.lastname@example.org)
3) The university website for veteran's services is here.
4) Once you submit your online form, the VA will mail you a "Certificate of Eligibility" outlining your benefits (ranging from 0% to 100%, with yellow ribbon eligibility). You must submit this Certificate to the registrar's office, along with a filled out VA 22-1995 (which you will receive in the mail along with your Certificate of Eligibility). The registrar's office will then submit these forms to the VA.
5) On the first day of the term, you will receive your VA disbursement through the school bursar.
Yellow Ribbon Program
The University of Chicago is participating in the educational initiative for Post-9/11 servicemen and women in partnership with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, called the Yellow Ribbon Education Enhancement Program. The Yellow Ribbon Program is part of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 (commonly known as Chapter 33).
Booth Yellow Ribbon provides $15,000 in tuition assistance per year.
Total assistance if 100% eligible:
$20,235 in tuition
$15,000 Booth Yellow Ribbon aid
$15,000 VA matching Yellow Ribbon aid
$1,000 book stipend
$17,793 housing allowance for nine months
$69,028 Post-9/11 GI Bill assistance per year
1) Complete Application Form. Click here for a copy of the application form.
2) Attach a copy of Veterans Administration Certificate of Eligibility for Yellow Ribbon Program
3) Deliver application form and Certificate of Eligibility to the Office of the University Registrar. Fax number is: 773-702-3562. Office hours are Monday-Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Mailing address is: Veteran's Services, Office of the University Registrar, University of Chicago, 1427 East 60th Street, Chicago, IL 60637
Peer School Information
- Columbia Business School Military in Business Association (Yellow Ribbon Program)
- Harvard Business School Armed Forces Alumni Association (Yellow Ribbon Program)
- Haas (UC Berkeley) Veterans Club (Yellow Ribbon Program)
- Kellogg (Northwestern) Veterans Club (Yellow Ribbon Program)
- Sloan (MIT) Veterans Association (Yellow Ribbon Program)
- Stanford GSB Veterans Club (Yellow Ribbon Program)
- Tuck (Dartmouth) Armed Forces Alumni Association (Yellow Ribbon Program)
- Wharton (U. Penn) Veterans Club (Yellow Ribbon Program)